7T Experimental MRIs
Two experimental 7 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging machines were purchased by the Center for Stroke Research CSB (Device 1) and the Cluster of Excellence NeuroCure (Device 2) with the aim of creating an experimental platform for small animal imaging. The facilities will service projects in the areas of A) Experimental Neuroimaging and B) Molecular Imaging, but projects in other fields of research are explicity encouraged.
The core facility is available to all public research institutions and industrial partners.
We offer access to the following two devices (Bruker BioSpin MRI GmbH):
Device 1 | PharmaScan 70/16 US (installation 03/2003; upgrade 04/2013)
Bruker Software Paravision 5.1
Device 2| BioSpec 70/20 USR (installation 08/2013)
Bruker Software Paravision 6.0
Our services include support from the core facility staff:
- advice for MRI – study design, selection of appropriate device and sequences
- use of standard sequences with marginal modifications
- carrying out measurements
- performing measurements under guidance
- training for independent MRI operation
- advice on appropriate image analysis strategies
Extensive methodological and image analysis development will only be provided on the basis of scientific cooperation. For use of the 7T MRI facilities, an hourly fee will be charged.
1H – linear volume resonators (38 mm, 72 mm, 86 mm bore) 1H – quadrature volume resonators (20 / 23 mm bore)
1H – quadrature mouse head / rat head – surface coils
1H – planar surface coils (10 / 20 / 30 mm)
1H / 19F – volume resonator (40 mm)
1H MRI CryoProbeTM
Several animal beds for use with gas anesthesia. Temperature-controlled warming blankets for mice and rats.
Small Animal Monitoring System (SA Instruments, Inc.) for remote observation of respiration, ECG, temperature, as well as cardiac and respiratory triggering.
Gas anesthesia with O2 / N2O + Isoflurane
Please contact Susanne Mueller (see right) to initiate a project.
- Bookings must be made via email to technical-operational management (TOL).
- Only Advanced Users and the TOL are entitled to operate the 7T MRI machines.
- Basic Users and other members of staff are not entitled to operate the MRI machines independently. They may participate only in the presence of an Advanced User or the TOL.
- Only Advanced Users receive transponder access to the MRI labs (approval by the TOL). It is not permited to pass the transponder on to third parties. The Advanced User has to ensure that no unauthorized persons have access to the rooms.