Health Insurance

Foreign researchers and their family members staying longer than three months in Germany must have comprehensive health insurance. We recommend you contact a German health insurance company before arriving so that you are covered from the very beginning.

There are two types of health insurance in Germany, statutory (public) and private. The terms of your research stay at the Charité will determine what kind of insurance you need:

Research stay based on a fellowship:

You need private insurance. Some insurance companies offer special rates for fellows. For more information, see:

Research stay with an employment contract:
You need statutory health insurance. For a list of statutory insurance companies in Berlin, see:
> Krankenkassen

For more information about the German health care system, see: